AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Respect
In Response To: HOTTA FIRE! ()

Greets! The Kings of the Earth!

What Bobo Kwame say is something I myself thought of before and not only once! When I was younger I used to be in a political party here in my home country (ask me WHY, but LATER because that is another story). Back then, apart from the fact that I was in a political party, I was a GOOD YOUTH! Now with good behaviour comes good manners and etiquette will be added unto you. I remember after some months living righteous I started to feel bad why I as a youth should be referring to adults only by a single name (their surname for that matter). This when I was saying something about a politician even if he/she was on the opposition party. It was a habit I got from being in the company of adults but even young newspaper reporters had that habit and also youths in everyday conversation. I guess it is a colloquial way of speaking, talking about Bush this and Blair this and even I was/am not completely immune from it. But word. To call an adult by his FIRST name is plain disrespectful!

I remember when Zimbabwe’s woes were still in their infancy and Zimbabweans on either sides of the fence used to debate about President Mugabe. It would reach a point when the anti-Mugabe one would ceaselessly talk of Mugabe this and Mugabe that; REPEATEDLY without correcting his speech. And then the pro Mugabe would say ‘He is your president why are you calling him Mugabe, you should say President Mugabe.’

I myself started to suspect that white people in Amerikkka would start talking about Obama this and Obama that but once again I was just getting used to it and accepting it. Hon. Prophet Kwame has reminded me that they DO actually say Obama more than they said Bush (without the title) but perhaps it’s getting worse? (At least they don’t say Barack!)

Here’s a ticklish one though: our own president was long known by everyone in Botswana even before he became the president. You see he is the son of the country’s first president and has always been known by his first name. That name has become such a household name that even today when he is the head of state people when speaking about him in an informal setting still refer to him simply as “Ian!” But let me add that no-one would dare say that in a formal setting like the news or newspapers! In fact newspeople call him: ‘His Exellency the President Lt. General Seretse Khama Ian Khama Seretse Khama’ ….OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am
Ras Paul

P.S. Wasn’t it on this very website that ones were saying we should properly respect the King of Kings and stop simply saying Selassie-I?

Messages In This Thread

NOW WHY DONT THEY CALL HIM A PRESDENT?
Re: NOW WHY DONT THEY CALL HIM A PRESDENT?
HOTTA FIRE!
Respect
MY LORD!
Re: MY LORD!
FIRE UP THE CHALIS MY LORDS!

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com